In honor of the US defeating Ghana in the World Cup yesterday, I’m posting an update on my American flag quilt. Remember this?
Initially? I was motivated. America, bitches.
I had it all laid out and most of it stitched up. I hand cut all fifty stars and had them pinned and ready to be sewed on. And then… I started sewing on the stars.
Holy mother of God.
Do you know how hard it is to sew on fifty stars? Worse than that, when you don’t know how to sew? I thought I was hot shit because I could sew a straight line. I was humbled pretty quick when I had to start rotating the material.
Side note and lessons learned for my next quilt: if you have a complicated pattern or section, it is best to do this section before attaching it to the whole product. I’m a spaz and I was way too excited to see it start to come together that I got a little sew happy. Now I have a queen sized blanket I’m trying to bob-and-weave through the machine during my struggle to attach the stupid stars.
I’m bringing in mom. For whatever reason the last few stars I did attempt to sew on kept bunching up the thread into a nasty tangled mess. My mom said something about a bobbin but after the fifth fuck up I got pissed off and had to step away. It’s been tucked away in a corner shaming me ever since.
With my new found American motivation I’m going to finish this.
Not like tomorrow or anything but keep an eye out…